Sunday, October 28, 2012

Inspiration Series ~ Spanakopita Crescent Rolls


Welcome to Inspiration Cafe!  It's Mary from Sweet Little Bluebird!  I'm so excited to be here today to share with all of you what INSPIRES me! 



Answering the question, 'what inspires me,' was a lot easier to answer than I thought it was going to be - it's in the title of my blog, "Sharing a Little Happiness."   What I love most about blogging is sharing.  I love to share recipes, tips, ideas...you name it!  I love to create recipes in my kitchen, using my husband, our two girls and their friends as taste testers.   If they love what I made, I can't wait to share it with everyone!  I LOVE that my blog has turned into a recipe box and source of tips and ideas for my family. This summer, my little one and I went to Alaska for three weeks, leaving my teen daughter and husband home to fend for themselves.  I had no idea, but just about everyday, my husband went to my blog to find a recipe to make - he made crock-pot recipes, naan pizzas, he refilled our foaming liquid soap dispenser from a past post.   He even made chocolate chip cookies using the photo tutorial as a guide, making a perfect batch! That is pretty awesome! Things like this are what inspire me to keep going, sharing, creating.  I also love that people actually like my stuff. WHO KNEW?!  

I had no idea where I was going when I started blogging last December and no idea what lies ahead.   What I do know is I'm really enjoying this adventure and I'm inspired every single day to share.

So on with my share for today's Inspiration Cafe!  

It should be known, I'm a Greek girl with a little bit of Irish.  I think food and feeding people is in my DNA.  My Papouli (that's Greek for Grandpa) owned a restaurant.  I also had a few relatives that owned a Coney Island Restaurant.  Even my grandpa on my Irish side owned a restaurant for a short time.  So when I say it's in my DNA, I come from a long line of foodies.  So today it would only be fitting to share a Greek inspired recipe...Don't worry, I'm sure I'll share an Irish dish one day too, to represent the other side of my family.  


Today's recipe is Spanakopita Crescent Rolls!  




I'm cheating using crescent rolls, but these are so good, super easy...

so let's cheat, shall we!  Just don't tell my Greek family!


Spanakopita Crescent Rolls Recipe


Ingredients

1 container of Crescent Rolls (8 count)
10 oz. frozen chopped Spinach (defrosted and *drain all excess liquid from spinach)
4 oz. Crumbled Feta
3 Green Onions Chopped
1 Large Clove of Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Dry Dill Weed
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. 
In a medium size bowl, add feta and dill, set aside.  In a medium size sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat, add garlic and green onions - saute for 3-5 minutes.  Add defrosted/drained spinach to pan and mix the garlic, onions and spinach together. Once blended well, pour on top of the feta and dill.  Next add the lemon juice and mix everything together.   Place triangle crescent rolls on clean surface and add one heaping scoop (I use a medium size Pampered Chef Scooper) of spinach mixture to each crescent roll, fold and pinch openings closed.  See photos below.  Place rolls on an ungreased cookie sheet, place on middle rack of oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until rolls are golden brown.  Remove and serve warm.  Enjoy!

*Be sure to drain as much of the liquid out of the spinach before adding.  You can use a colander, pressing the spinach with your hands or spoon.



What Inspires You?!

........................................................................................................

Sharing this Recipe at these great parties:
(Click here for the list of parties where we link)


40 comments:

  1. Mary, I loved hearing what inspires you! Every since I "met" you online I've been inspired by the food and recipes you share at Sweet Little Bluebird. You are definitely a bright spot to my days! I love, love, love Greek food and cannot wait to try these with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Sherry, thank you. If you make them, please let me know what you think...I know you will love them.

      I am so lucky to be part of this great group of bloggers - I am beyond thankful for you four - supportive, thoughtful and so talented! Looking forward to adventure with you girls. Fun fun fun!

      Delete
  2. Mary, I am so with you on why I blog. It is an amazing resource, and one that I hope that my children can look to someday...these looks amazing and I will definitely be giving them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! It's a good reason to blog - very fulfilling and handy too!

      The same sentiment above to you...so thankful for you 4 girls.

      If you make these rolls, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. Love this, love your recipes, each one I've tried has been a hit with the family and I'm also half Irish my Mum is Irish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, You are the best! I am so glad you and your family like my recipes.....HAPPY DANCE - SMILING EAR TO EAR! My mom was Irish too :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Donna,

      Thank you so much! Thanks for visiting Inspiration Cafe, so fun to see you here! Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  5. These look sooo good! I pinned it, and must try sometime - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherry!

      Thank you so much for the visit, sweet words and pin! We are so happy you stopped by Inspiration cafe! If you try them, please stop by and let me know what you think.

      Hope you are having a great week!

      Delete
  6. Such a great post Mary!! So proud of you and what you have done with this!! <3
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. These spanakopita crescents look like they need to go on my "must try" list! I've always wondered how to make them, and now, thanks to you, I know. :) Thanks for linking up with us on Must Try Monday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ,

      Thank you for hosting the party! I think these are a "must try" but I'm a little biased. ;0) These are pretty easy and super yummy!

      Thank you so much for stopping by Inspiration Cafe and leaving a sweet comment!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. I tried this recipe years ago, and made a large pie. Now I do filo triangles, it's just delicious isn't it, and I love your crescent rolls !
    I'm not Greek, but lucky enough to have travelled alot because the rest of Europe is on our doorstep (being that I'm English) and I just love Greek and Middle Eastern food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona! I love Greek and Middle Eastern food - I'm pretty adventurous! You are one lucky girl to have all that at your doorstep!

      Thank you so much for stopping by our new cafe - I hope you visit again! Thanks for the sweet comment!

      I hope you are off to a great week!

      Cheers to you!

      Delete
  9. what a cool way to make these, Sel 1310@att.net have you tried
    anything else with this dough mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I have a bunch of ideas of what you can do with this dough. Stay tuned, I will be posting more recipes soon!

      Delete
  10. This looks so yummy. I love these kinds of recipes and seems i always have at least one in with our thanksgiving appetizers even though they aren't the "standard fare". I would love for you to come link this up at our recipe link up! http://www.katieslanguagecafe.com/2012/10/french-cuisine-friday-recipe-link-up-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite to the party, Katie! I'll be sure to stop by, link up and check out your blog.

      I plan on making these over the holidays. I usually buy frozen Spanakopita at Trader Joe's - but these are so easy and so good, I'm making my own this year. So glad I decided to experiment in my kitchen!

      Thank you so much for visiting our new Inspiration Cafe!

      I hope you are having a great day!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi Paula,

      Thank you so much! Thanks for hosting the party!

      So glad you stopped by our new Cafe! Cheers!

      Delete
  12. Delicious and easy, two of my favorite things! Love your inspiration on blogging. You can never have too much happiness:) Stopping by from Work it Wednesday, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet comment, thank you Erin! I'm so glad you like my recipe! Thank you so much for visiting our new cafe! we hope you visit again! Cheers to you!

      Delete
  13. These look really yummy and almost criminal to be honest. I bet it's hard to just eat one :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never eat just one. Never. Thank so much for stopping by Inspiration Cafe, Sarah! I hope you stop by again, so fun having you visit!

      Hope you are having a great week!

      Delete
  14. Love this! Love your blog and the idea behind it! So inspiring! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie,

      Thank you for the sweet comment! Thanks for hosting the party! I love your blog!

      I hope you are having a wonderful week. I'll be visiting soon! Cheers to you!

      Delete
  15. Hi Peggy,

    Thanks for the invite! Hope you are having a great week! I'll be stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM!!! this looks great!!!! I've never done this with crescent rolls, but they look yummy! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations!
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! Thank you and thanks so much for hosting the party! These are really good and so easy to make! My 9 year old even loved them.

      Thank you so much for stopping by Inspiration Cafe. Natalie of NorthShore Days has a great post for tomorrow...you'll have to stop by and see what she is sharing!

      Hope you are having a great weekend!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  17. Just wanted you to know that I'm sharing some Inspiration Cafe love today on my blog! Love your new site...keep up the good work ;)
    http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-friday-blogger-groups.html

    ~Shasta~
    intheoldroad.blogspot.com
    LinkyHere.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature....so fun and so sweet of you! I am following your blog and will be back to visit! I hope you are having a great weekend!

      Thank you so much again, Shasta!

      Delete
  18. These look so good! I love spinach pie. I am a new follower via Cheerios & Lattes and would LOVE for you to come share at my weekly Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      Thank you, they are pretty yummy! Thank you so much for the invite to the party! I will be over to check out the party and link up!

      I hope you are off to a great Sunday! Have a wonderful week. Be sure to stop by Inspiration Cafe Tomorrow, Natalie of NorthShore Days has a wonderful post to share with all of us!

      Delete
  19. Great recipe! I love all Greek food! I would love to have you come share some of your great ideas at the link party on ‘Or so she says…' There’s one going on right now (and every Saturday – Tuesday). Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know whether I love Spanikopita more or recipe cheats that make them easier! Both! Love! Thanks for the recipe! If you don't mind, I'd like to invite you to share this baked deliciousness at my link party - WanderFood Wednesday. I actually found this blog through "This Week's Craving" link party, so hey, proof that they work right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made these for dinner tonight and served them with a Greek salad! They were delicious!!! I'll definitely be making them often. I used to make spanikopita the hard way, but it's pretty time-consuming. I'm probably going to blog about these and link to your post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look yummers!! I tried making regular Spanakopita (yes, I just copied and pasted Spanakopita {twice now} so I wouldn't misspell it) and I had a disaster! But because of this recipe...I will try again!! woohoo!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete